If you’re a fan of Balkan cuisine, you’ve probably heard of or even tasted the delicious dish known as ”cevapcici.” These small, grilled sausages are a staple in the Balkan region and are loved for their flavorful and aromatic profile. In this article, we’ll explore the original cevapcici recipe, its history, ingredients, and step-by-step preparation. Get ready to embark on a culinary journey through the Balkans!
The origins of cevapcici
Cevapcici, also spelled as ”ćevapi” or ”ćevapčići,” have a rich history dating back to the Ottoman Empire. It is believed that these flavorful sausages were inspired by kebabs brought to the Balkans by the Turks. Over time, the dish evolved, and the people of the Balkans put their unique twist on it, resulting in the beloved cevapcici we know today.
Ingredients for authentic cevapcici
To create the original and authentic cevapcici, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 500g ground beef
- 250g ground pork
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Follow these steps to prepare delicious, original cevapcici:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and pork.
- Add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic to the meat mixture.
- Season the mixture with paprika, black pepper, salt, and baking soda. Mix thoroughly.
- Drizzle the vegetable oil into the mixture and continue to mix until everything is well combined.
- Shape the mixture into small, finger-sized sausages, about 2-3 inches long.
- Preheat your grill or barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Grill the cevapcici for about 10-12 minutes, turning them occasionally until they are evenly cooked and have a nice char on the outside.
- Serve your cevapcici hot with traditional accompaniments like flatbread, ajvar (pepper-based condiment), and diced onions.
Faqs about cevapcici
What is the best way to shape cevapcici?
The best way to shape cevapcici is to wet your hands with water before handling the meat mixture. This prevents the mixture from sticking to your hands and allows you to shape the sausages easily.
Can I use all beef instead of a beef and pork mixture?
Yes, you can use only beef if you prefer. However, the combination of beef and pork adds a unique flavor and texture to the cevapcici.
What side dishes go well with cevapcici?
Cevapcici are often served with flatbread, diced onions, ajvar, and sometimes sour cream or yogurt. You can also pair them with a simple salad or grilled vegetables.
Now that you have the original cevapcici recipe, you can recreate this Balkan delight in the comfort of your own kitchen. Enjoy the flavors of the Balkans and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills!
Se även nedan: